Thursday 15 March 2007

Thursday 15th March

Yesterday a Japanese NGO organisation (Association of School Aid in Cambodia) came to visit and interviewed us extensively about the school. They seemed particularly interested in the Scholarship program and it is possible they might provide some partial funding. They propose a school visit at some point in the future as the next step.

Went for some supper at a Khmer restaurant in the Chumkriel area. We eat outside in little huts by the water.



Today I join a meeting of the recently set up Kampot Children's Fund. From the Charter, this is "A small fund, raised from private individuals, which aims to help disadvantaged children to complete their basic education." It's aim is to supplement the work done by projects and NGOs. Potentially this fund could help individual children to join the CLS scholarship program.

I volunteer to look into setting up the KCF website and also to distribute the postcards they have commissioned to the various outlets around Kampot.

Got a 2 dollar haircut earlier (I had to pay westerner price apparently because the barber got covered in fine blonde hair). Bizarrely, the younger kids in the first class today think I look like James Bond.

With the older group, I have to try to explain the difference between the Past Simple and the Present Perfect tense. I'm glad I did a bit of revision because I wouldn't have had a clue if you asked me yesterday. But the kids seem to understand the principle. There is only one past tense in Khmer so I imagine this is quite difficult for them.

Today I finally have lights in the push bike so I am finally mobile after dark. (It gets very dark here from around 7pm and my house is about 15 minutes ride out of town)

Do you think I look like James Bond with my new haircut ?

2 comments:

sam said...

I think you're more Daniel Craig than Sean Connery...

Unknown said...

Hey Sandy, Looks like you're enjoying your time there; I especially liked the venue chosen for lunch. As for the James Bond question, I can't see any difference, at all. All the best, Okan