Saturday 24 March 2007

Saturday 24th March

Khmer New Year is approaching and the teachers want to throw a party for the school children. There is no budget for this but I think its important for the school to be able to fund this activity. Mr Rekha put some estimates together and we are looking at about $100 so less than a dollar per child. I'll put the money up front but see if I can get a few friends to pledge some money to help out. If I can raise the $100 I'll also fund a special meal for the teachers after the party.

Khmer new year is a massive celebration here with everything closed for 5 days. This little girl really wants a party on the 8th April:



At school today we had some cows come to visit and I joined in a plastic animal throwing game but I still don't understand the rules.




I played "Sunshine on Leith" by The Proclaimers to some of older kids today. I think they enjoyed it, but I haven't yet explained the context. I also showed Mr Rekha the Hibs goals from the League Cup final - magic !



Went out to the waterfall on the Chou road for lunch. It was good. Little kids were diving in the water and spearing fish. They seemed to have good success. Which is more than I can say for my fishing efforts. This waterfall area is very popular with the Khmers, particularly during holidays. Sellers come by with all sorts of fresh fruit as you sit and eat by the river.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How are you collecting for the $100?

There's loads of fruit machines over here I can tap...

Unknown said...

Sam,

We are looking at affiliating with an existing charity, or setting up our own UK organisation (am trying to determine the best way forward) but until such time the only way to contribute is via mine or my brother's bank account. However anyone offering a contribution could make a pledge and wait until we have the right set up.

Good luck on the fruit machines !

Sandy

Anonymous said...

Sandy - sorry not been on to track your progress for a while, but caught up now, looks fantastic. Good you've introduced the glorious Hibees to a new audience too! Put me down for $20 and let me know how to pay in due course. You look v James Bond by the way!
Cheers noo,
Mike J

Anonymous said...

Yo Sandy - And Mike, by the way.

I had an excellent time in Hampden on the day - but it was a bit parky as the sleet drifted in, so much so that James & I nearly buggered off after 25 minutes -

I have the video of the match, which is just as well because I couldn't sdee a thing in the poor weather.

But to BEEE THERE, and be with my son as 30,000 all sang Sunshine on Leith, and the team

now lets see,

Mcneil, Murphy, Jones, Hogg, Whittaker, Zemmama Brown, Beuzellin, Stewart, Stevenson, Benji,Fletcher.

Yup. The team of the best. And this Sunday the Hearts! I AM excited.

Much love. Much, much love, Dave Head.

PS Good idea to be in Cambodia. Much better than London....